After the long ban and battles in court that continued for almost 5 years, women activists on Tuesday entered the historic Haji Ali Dargah sanctum in Mumbai on Tuesday.
On October 24, The Haji Ali Dargah Trust had told the Supreme Court that it was prepared to execute the Bombay High Court’s request to permit passage of ladies into the sanctum of the holy place situated in Mumbai.
Earlier in march 2011, Board of trustees of the Dargah enforced the ban on the entry of the women.
Trustee, Sohail Khandwani said, “We have made arrangements to ensure that the women worshippers are not inconvenienced. We are complying with the affidavit we submitted to the Supreme Court, according to which men and women worshippers are allowed an equal space. Both stand in separate queues and two meters away from the saint’s tomb and pray”.
On the other hand, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis respected the decision to permit and to give equal right to enter men and women at the Haji Ali Dargah.
In a statement, Fadnavis said, “Both men and women have equal rights, we agree with this. No religion differentiates between men and women’s rights”.
Following five years of fight in court, it was a moment of bliss when more than 80 ladies on Tuesday entered the Haji Ali Dargah.