It was the historic day for India on 20th July, when the country got its 14th President from NDA coalition government as Ram Nath Kovind.
After becoming the 14th President of India Kovind said in his statement, “I will do my best to maintain the dignity of the high office of the president”.
Who is Ram Nath Kovind?
- Ram Nath Kovind was a lawyer who has practiced law in the Delhi High Court and the Supreme Court for 16 years.
- Ram Nath Kovind is a Dalit leader who first stepped into politics in 1994.
- He was elected as a Rajya Sabha member from Uttar Pradesh in the year 1994.
- He served as a Rajya Sabha member for two consecutive terms for 12 years till March, 2006.
- He hails from Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh and completed his studies from Kanpur University gaining B.com LLB degree.
Other important points:
- It was reported that Ram Nath Kovind won the 2,930 votes with a value of 7,02,044, where on the other hand, his rival Meira Kumar managed 1,844 votes with a value of 3,67,314.
- The cross voting took place from the states including Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, Goa and Bengal.
- Ram Nath Kovind will be the second Dalit President of India.
- The first Dalit President of India was KR Narayanan.