A south-bound rake of Kolkata metro got stranded in a tunnel after an electrical snag occurred late on Sunday.
It followed repeated sparks that led to a panic among commuters who tried to break open the windows to escape.
The incident occurred at around 10 PM.
Two coaches of south-bound non-AC metro rake rolled inside the Netaji Bhavan metro station while others were stranded behind the tunnel, Kolkata Metro CPRO Indrani Banerjee told the media.
“The flash was mainly because of the snag that led to power trip leading to the metro coming to a halt. We are investigating the matter,” she added.
The passengers saw the sparks and raised an alarm.
“There were sparks earlier also during the journey. We raised an alarm, but nobody listened to us. After the train gates did not open for five minutes, we finally broke open the glass windows and came out,” a commuter spoke.
It took almost 20minutes to evacuate all the passengers onboard from the rake, however, no causality took place.
“We made announcements to guide the passengers out of the train safely. It was a non-AC train. Yet some passengers broke the windows,” said a Metro spokesperson.
“As the lights suddenly went out there was a big commotion inside the train. Many children traveling on the train were terrified and started crying. There was an announcement in the public address system asking the passengers to get out of the train quickly,” added a passenger.
After the incident, the metro services along the line remained disrupted for around half-an-hour, said a Lalbazar officer.