No firecracker in Delhi-NCR for Dussehra and Diwali says, Supreme Court

share on:

On Tuesday, the Supreme Court has modified its order of November last year in suspending the permanent licenses for the sale of fire crackers in Delhi-NCR.

The bench comprises of Justices M B Lokur and justice Deepak Gupta asked the authorities to check sale of the sale of the firecrackers.

The bench said in its order,”Similarly, the States in the NCR are restrained from granting more than 50 per cent of the number of temporary licenses granted in 2016. The area of distribution of the temporary licenses is entirely for the authorities to decide,”

It was reported that the court also asked Delhi Police to reduce the license of the by 50 per cent of the number of licenses which was issued in the year 2016.

“The suspension of permanent licenses as directed by the order dated 11th November 2016 is lifted for the time being. This might require a review after Diwali depending on the ambient air quality post-Diwali. However, it is made explicit that the sale of fireworks by the permanent licensees must conform to the directions given above and must be fully in compliance with the Explosives Rules”, the bench said in its order.

Following this, the court has asked the Chairperson of Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) to submit the report of the pollution level by December 31, 2017, to the court.

share on: